A couple of months ago, I wrote a piece on why I think “Self Awareness is Bullshit”.
I discussed how that term made me cringe, and why simply trying to grasp awareness of self does not allow you to own it — you have to do things in order to manifest this trait over time.
But today, while taking one of my more miserable scrolls through Facebook, it hit me that conventional motivation catch phrases bother me for other reasons.
In general, it’s just downright lazy.
(And for the record, yes, it is obvious to non-lazy thinkers that your thinking is lazy.)
To repeat any sentence, idea, statement, or theory without having actually giving it a good and thorough amount of thought says a lot about you.
1. When you repeat words of wisdom that you obviously do not yet subscribe to, it shows that you are a generally incongruent person. You probably say things you don’t mean and do things that you’d never tell anyone about.
2. You may also come off as an idolizer — someone who spreads the message of your icons without actually questioning whether or not it applies to you, your life, your situation, or your world view. A repeater, not a learner.
3. When I see people who are already famous sharing shitty memes of cliche sayings, it tells me that they care more about efficiency than efficacy. They have most likely hired someone to find words on their behalf, and most likely not taken this process seriously enough to commit to a solid editing process and recognize that their reputation is at stake.
4. You are probably not a good communicator. If you throw around shallow phrases that everyone has heard a million times, it is telling your friends and followers that word usage and word selection are not very important to you. This also might mean that your relationships are not as strong as they could be, since your emotions and thought processes are probably not delivered well in general.
5. You are easily excitable and fickle. If every semi-fiery meme and sentence forces you to push the “share” button, then your standards are probably quite low. If you can be so compelled to share something in the morning and do not think about it’s message for the rest of the day (or ever again for that matter), it probably had no effect on you. In which case, you are developing a habit of consuming things in order to simply spread them. Not consuming things for hopes in actual self-betterment.